14.2.09

Paper

Jennifer Krauss
Untitled, 2000, 2000
abaca paper, Slinkys, rust
20 x 16 inches
collaborator: Paul Wong

I recently went to the Dieu Donné paper mill and artist workspace with my Christie's class. We viewed several works by artists that create works made both with and on handmade paper produced in the studio.

Paper is such a wonderfully tactile medium. I wanted to touch and nuzzle the sometimes gloriously thick and meaty and sometimes veil-like and gracefully thin sheets of handmade paper.

After the tour, we had a chance to create our own paper to take home. Dipping screens into soupy troughs of snowy cotton pulp, we pulled thick paper sheets out of the water. I could totally get into this.




Keeping with the paper-theme of the day, I arrived home to a package of custom letterpress stationary that I had ordered a few weeks back from Lunalux in Minneapolis. They do such a lovely job. Nice thick paper. So simple and such high quality.

Just in time for Valentines day.