28.10.09

Maybe it's because it's raining and cooling off after that long hot summer. The scarves, stockings and trench coats remind me of a Catherine Denuve film. All covered up, but no less seductive. Or maybe it's because I've been reading too much Shakespeare and Neruda and am on the verge of writing a sonnet myself. To seduce with words and prose, touching little, revealing less. Waiting until the very last moment to succumb to temptation. Whatever it may be, I'm taken by the privacy screen lately. It's implied modesty and secrecy. Soothing sharp corners of a room, providing a continued arc of movement for the eye. I particularly love these two screens.

I found this lovely gold screen at Baker the other day with my dear friend Alecia. I am normally not the Baker type, but I was converted for a moment when I saw this screen by Tony Duquette for Baker Furniture.

It has a flirty effect of surprising you with a coral red edging inside the cutouts. So very nice.






This second screen is by Maarten Bass for Moss NY. He carefully set fire to this mid century modern classic screen by Eames turning it into a gracefully eerie creation. Fittingly, it was only done once and is now sold. Never to be recreated. A moment in time; a charred memory of a classic.